Welcome to Kimberlite™!
Information You Provide
This is information that you provide to us such as your name and payment information. The information we collect is different depending on if you are an account holder, become a podcast subscriber by supporting a podcaster, or become a podcaster by creating your own Kimberlite™ page.
To create an account on Kimberlite™ you have to provide your email address.
You may also have the option in the future to add more information to your profile, such as a location, social media links and an about section, which we store along with any comments or messages you submit through Kimberlite™.
We collect and process information about the podcasters you support, the level at which you support them, what content you receive and how often you support them.
A podcaster is someone who creates a Kimberlite™ page requesting financial support from podcast subscribers, optionally in exchange for bonus content. To become a podcaster, you must create a page that describes what you are creating and any content you are offering. We collect and process this information along with any additional information you add to your profile. To receive payments you have to create an account our payment partner, Stripe. You must also provide us with additional information for tax purposes. Depending on your location you have to fill out a form with some combination of your:
- Legal name
- Social security number or employer identification number
- Country of citizenship
- Foreign tax identification number
- Date of birth
- Your nonprofit registration number, if you are a nonprofit business
Information We Collect
We collect information automatically as you navigate the site or through our third party analytics providers. We may store usage information such as the type of device you use to access Kimberlite™, your operating system, browser type, IP address, and device ID, the pages you visit or request, links clicked, referring sites, user interactions and your search terms. We also derive your location from your IP address.
Do Not Track
Our service does not support Do Not Track requests at this time, which means our third party analytics providers may associate your usage on Kimberlite™ with your usage on other sites.
We use third-party advertising cookies to present you with opportunities while on Kimberlite™. We also use retargeting cookies to present you with Kimberlite™ advertising on other websites.
Facebook Custom Audiences: You can adjust your Facebook advertising settings from within your Facebook account and opt-out of advertisements from within the Facebook application.
Google Adwords: You can adjust the Google ads settings and opt-out of this program. Twitter Tailored Audiences: You can opt-out of seeing interest-based advertising on Twitter.
How We Use Your Information
We never sell your information to anyone. We use your information to:
- Provide Kimberlite™ services to you.
- Allow you to sign in to your account.
- Allow you to support podcasters through Kimberlite™.
- Allow you to collect money as a podcaster.
- Send you emails relevant to your usage, as controlled by your email preferences.
- Reply to your questions.
- Understand how you use the service and market Kimberlite™ to you, including suggesting podcasters you may be interested in supporting.
- Create better tools for podcasters to serve podcast subscribers.
- Conduct research and development to improve Kimberlite™ and develop future products that our users may be interested in by analyzing how you use it.
- Prevent fraud and abuse on Kimberlite™.
Information Shared with podcasters
If you are a podcast subscriber, the following information is shared with the podcasters you support:
- Your email address and other profile information.
- Any messages you send them through Kimberlite™.
- Your physical address, city, state, country, and phone number, if you have signed up for a reward that requires shipping.
- All information about your pledge, including amount and start date, but not your full payment card information.
- Some aggregated and anonymized data about how you use Kimberlite™ that cannot be linked back to any individual user.
Information Shared with Third Parties
Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is data that includes a personal identifier like your name, email or address, or data that could reasonably be linked back to you. We will only share this data under the following circumstances:
- With your permission, with service providers used by podcasters to deliver content and rewards.
- With companies that are contractually engaged in providing us with services, such as email management, analyzing data trends, credit card processing and fraud detection and prevention. These companies may have access to personal information to perform their services and are obligated by contract to safeguard any PII they receive from us.
- To protect the security or integrity of Kimberlite™, and to protect the rights, property, or safety of Kimberlite™, its employees, users, or others, if we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation, valid legal process (e.g., subpoenas or warrants served on us). If we are going to release your data, we will do our best to provide you with notice in advance by email, unless we are prohibited by law from doing so.
Information Shared with the Public
Currently, there is no profile information for podcast subscribers that is available to the public.
The following information may publicly accessible in the future:
- Your profile, and your social media links and location if you add that information.
- By default the podcasters you support are publicly displayed. If you flag your account as private, we will not display the podcasters you support.
- Any posts or comments you make on a podcaster’s page.
- Your aggregated or anonymized usage data in blog posts, press releases, or in other ways to share information about Kimberlite™’s usage. Aggregated or anonymized data cannot be linked back to any individual Kimberlite™ user.
Your Preferences and Rights over Data
Choosing Your Preferences
The Settings link is located on the page after you log in. Settings lets you see the what your account preferences are. You can see and adjust your settings by viewing your preferences and, if you wish, by changing your selections.
Exercising Your Data Rights
You can exercise rights over your data in the following ways:
- Modifying the Information in Your Account. You can modify or delete certain information associated with your account on the settings pages, as described in the “Choosing Your Preferences” section above. This includes subscriptions to podcaters.
- Disabling Your Account. You can permanently disable your account emailing email@example.com, and requesting that we do so. Please be aware that this is a final act and you cannot log into your account again after taking this action. When you email us requesting to do so, we will remove your ability to log in within 30 days and delete all data on our servers associated with your account. This will automatically disable any future payments to podcasters. If you create a new account, you will be asked to use a different email address from the one you used previously. Even if an account is deleted, some information may be retained by our analytics providers on their own servers.
- Removing Marketing Emails. You can stop receiving marketing emails by clicking the unsubscribe link from the bottom of any email sent to you. While this removes your marketing emails, service related emails are still sent, including how you can optimize your Kimberlite™ experience and suggestions for which podcasters to follow.
- Understanding Our Data Retention Periods. We retain your information for ten years, unless you disable your account information from you account settings. Please note that once you disable your account, you will not be able to log in again. If you want to log into Kimberlite™ again by creating a new account, you may be prompted to use a new email address from the one you previously used on your disabled account.
- Additional Questions Related to Privacy. For additional privacy-related questions about your account, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
European Union Data Transfer
Transfer of Data to the United States
We may use your information to offer you products and services that we think may be of interest to you, unless you have opted out of marketing communications. If you are in the European Economic Area, where required by applicable law, we will obtain your consent before sending you any marketing communications. You may object to the use of your data for direct marketing purposes at any time, free of charge, when we collect your personal information and in every marketing communication. We will never provide your information to third parties for marketing purposes without your prior consent.
The security of your personal information is important to us and we follow industry standards to protect it. Full credit card numbers are never accessed by our system, and the most sensitive data we store, such as tax forms, are encrypted to keep them secure. To further protect your information we suggest using a strong and unique password for your Kimberlite™ account.
Kimberlite™ is not directed at children under the age of 13, and they may not create an account or otherwise use Kimberlite™.
We may sometimes make changes to this policy. If we make material changes that adversely affect your rights under this policy, we will let you know by posting an announcement on the site or sending you an email prior to the changes coming into effect. Continuing to use Kimberlite™ after a change to this policy means you accept the new policy.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Effective October 24, 2018. Last updated on October 24, 2018